Monday, July 28, 2014

WILL KEVIN SMITH'S "TUSK" SCORE IN HIS SECOND ATTEMPT AT HORROR???

Let me begin by saying that I am a fan of RED STATE, an even bigger fan of KEVIN SMITH, and an even bigger fan of horror. Having said that I have to tell you, that in my opinion, RED STATE is NOT a horror film. Although it was strongly promoted and sold under the impression that it was horror, I feel that it falls into the the psychological thriller category. Many may disagree and many may agree, but I personally do not think that psych thrillers are a subgenre of horror. I may be wrong but i dont think I am. Feel free to utilize the comment box at the bottom of the article if you agree or disagree. Everyone's opinion will be respected.



Now don't get me wrong there's nothing wrong with psy-thrillers, in fact I think its a great genre of film, and RED STATE was a very well done example of that. If you haven't seen RED STATE,its a film about religious fanatics that lure the "perverse and sick deviant offenders of Gods law" through sexually explicit personal ads on the internet, leading to a trailer park home in search of pussy, where they are drugged and taken prisoner, and taken to their church in order to kill them as a sacrifice to God in hopes of bringing salavation back to humankind. Again, if you haven't seen this film you really should. My quick synopsis of the film serves it no justice but its meant to not give too much away. In my opinion it was another homerun by Kev, but just unfortunately billed under the wrong genre.
This now brings me to the headline and subject of this article. Kevin has penned us a new "ORIGINAL" legit horror titled "TUSK". During his 259th edition of his SMODcast, he went into full detail about how, while in England, he discovered an ad placed by a British man who pledged to provide free lodging to the person who agreed to live with him dressed as a walrus. Immediately his wheels began spinning, and in his own words at this year's SDCC, said 6 months later he was sitting on a set directing Justin Long dressed as a fucking walrus. He also debuted the trailer for TUSK which you can find at the bottom of this article. The trailer alone will grab you.
You will have to witness this for yourself , but the trailer shows Justin Long as a podcaster who visits a creepy old worldwide adventurer with amazing tales and an affinity for walruses, played by Michael Parks, well known for roles in many Tarantino films and starred as the mentally fucked preacher in Red State. Long's character is  drugged and  held captive  by the man and is severly tortured into mentally becoming a walrus, as well as being surgically altered into one. Meanwhile the unfortunate young man's girlfriend and podcast partner, played respectably by Genisis Rodriguez and Haley Joel Osment, race to find him. Physically altering someone's appearance to literally resemble a fucking walrus seems pretty fucked up, and sounds like a horror to me.

I guess I'm getting to my main point of this. I do think he has scored with TUSK and  I hope this will be well received by many as a great addition to the horror world. I look forward to seeing this film with good friends and a bunch of drinks, as I do think i will enjoy this film immensely. Kevin informed the crowd in Hall H at SDCC that TUSK is the start of a Canadian trilogy to be followed by Yoga Hosers and Moose Jaws. Thankfully he was only joking... LOL. Well folks, thanks for reading. I plan on bringing you a full review of the film when its released and hopefuly its as positive as the hopes I have for this film which is scheduled for release September 19th. Now, Kevin Smith, start fucking filming Clerks 3!!!!!!

By: D. Mozz
           

No comments:

Post a Comment